Summer Internship Program
Each summer, Ashland Power District offers a limited number of paid summer internships to high school graduates and college students. This program gives students the opportunity to connect with the workforce while increasing their knowledge of on-the-job skills and responsibilities. Students apply each spring and are selected based on relevant background, interests, and a demonstrated ability to meet the following requirements:
- Working knowledge of personal computer systems is preferred
- Dependability and availability during co-op business hours
- A willingness to develop an interest in and knowledge of the ideals and objectives of the co-op overall and that of team and department to which the intern is assigned
- A desire to learn and cooperate with fellow employees and his/her supervisor
- Provide 2 professional recommendations upon submission of each year’s online application form
Bright Ideas Grants
Ashland Power District has awarded more than 100 Bright Ideas grants since 1994, totaling nearly $250,000.00. Since the program began in 1994, educators statewide have received more than $12.2 million in Bright Ideas grant funding and more than 2.3 million students have participated in 11,699 Bright Ideas-funded projects across the state.
In 2018, Ashland Power District set a record by awarding more than $675,000 in Bright Ideas funding – the most awarded in a single year in the history of the program.
Where the Money Goes
The funds go to local teachers and principals serving Kindergarten through 12th grade. They are awarded for projects in any discipline as long as they use creative teaching techniques to improve instruction. Projects are eligible for grants of up to $2,000.
Applications & Judging
Applications will be accepted on the Bright Ideas website from April 1 through April 15, 2023. Teachers who submit applications by the early bird deadline of April 8 will be entered to win 1 of 5 $100 Visa gift cards.
The judges that are selected to review the applications are located throughout the cooperative’s service area and include educators and community leaders.
Ashland Power District is proud to provide a wide range of scholarships to help the next generation succeed and innovate in both Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) based majors and other disciplines.
Close to 50 scholarships were made available last year. These STEM-focused or Employee Resource Group and Engineering Network Group-sponsored scholarships range from $1,000 to $10,000.
Ashland Power District is offering STEM Scholarships of $2,500 or $10,000 to students pursuing science, technology, or engineering studies at universities nationwide. Students must be Ashland Power District customers at the time of application. Applicants must be high school seniors or graduates who plan to enroll in full-time undergraduate study in an eligible STEM field at any 4-year college or university for the entire upcoming academic year. Nontraditional students who are returning to school to finish their degree or planning on attending for the first time are encouraged to apply.
Eligible majors include:
- Engineering (electrical, mechanical, industrial, environmental, power and/or energy)
- Computer Science/Information Systems
- Cyber Security and Environmental Sciences
Applicants for all of the scholarships listed below must:
- Be a high school senior or graduate, have received GED certification, or be an undergraduate or postsecondary undergraduate student. Veterans and adults returning to school are encouraged to apply
- Have a primary residence that is a Ashland Power District customer at the time of application
- Plan to enroll full-time in an accredited college or university in the Fall.